11/06/2008

the mail

have you ever been in charge of the mail for a company?

Well, I am now. As you know I'm only temping and there are a good 120 people here. Each and everyone has a pigeon hole where they are used to getting their mail from.
During my ten minutes of "this is what you would have to do the next three days" I was shown where the mail goes but not how to distribute it.
Now you probably think I'm stupid. Where's the big deal in putting the mail addressed to a person into the mail box of the same person. Well...the mail boxes are not labeled by name, they are labeled by room number (because the staff may change but the room won't). Some room numbers obviously hold the mail for several people, but which ones?

Luckily, everyone here is REALLY nice and helpful around here. So when I sent out an e-mail to all personnel to ask them to send me back their name and room number, so I can find out where the mail goes at least for the people present (because the rest obviously won't need their mail today), everyone was real quick to answer and they offered everything from compassion to cheerful words. But hell, was I shocked when I saw those to boxes of mail on my desk in the morning...

No comments: